Stray Cat Alliance is a non-profit organization focused on educating and empowering communities to advocate for every cat’s right to be safe, healthy, and valued. Everyday, our team works to save the helpless lives of kittens and cats by providing: spay/neuter, trap-neuter-return (TNR), adoptions, wellness care, medical care, and community shelter support. Our goals are to:
- Eradicate cruelty toward cats through advocacy, rescue, and education.
- Find loving forever homes for cats and kittens taken in through all of our programs.
- Help shelters transform themselves from executioners to safe havens for cats by implementing SCA’s life-saving policies and procedures.
- Educate the community about the plight of free‐roaming cats and empower people to take action to stop population growth through spay and neuter.
- Create and sustain a No-Kill Nation by mentoring other communities to become no kill through our grassroots programs.
Stray Cat Alliance envisions a time when all cats are valued and safe whether in homes or communities, and when shelters serve as temporary safe havens.
We are seeking a veterinarian, full- or part-time, newly graduated or experienced, to join our team! We offer a competitive salary and no euthanasia is required. The successful candidate will be a caring, team-oriented individual who possesses good communication skills and can provide excellent medical care and perform surgery for our patients. The candidate must have a valid veterinarian license.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead the evaluation and establishment of shelter medical protocols
- Evaluate and determine the disposition of incoming animals
- Provide medical services to all shelter animals including physical examinations, diagnostics, medical rounds, and treatments
- Ensure appropriate medication is administered by shelter veterinary staff as directed
- Continually improve the medical management program and ensure high-quality medical care and services for shelter guests including those temporarily in foster care, focusing on identification, treatment and prevention of health problems thereby increasing adoptions and decreasing adoption returns
- Provide timely medical care to all shelter animals pursuant to policy and regulations
- Make recommendations and collaborate with others in the formulation of shelter medical objectives, practices, plans and decisions that influence operations to ensure optimal health of sheltered animals
- Oversee the maintenance of shelter drug and supply inventory while meeting and maintaining DEA requirements
- Provide guidance and training to staff for situations requiring immediate medical problem solving
- Treat people and animals with respect; contribute to effective teamwork; promote intra- and inter-departmental cooperation; and foster public relations beneficial to Stray Cat Alliance
- Maintain appropriate licensing and complete required continuing education courses. Adhere to state regulations and organizational protocols regarding animal care, treatment, advocacy, and the mission of Stray Cat Alliance
- Take immediate action to address any safety concern or noncompliance of safety rules that could put an employee, volunteer, client, animal, or the organization at risk
- Current license in the State of California to practice veterinary medicine
- Maintenance of malpractice insurance
- Ability to work well within frenetic nature of shelter environment
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Proven organizational, time management, and planning skills required
- Ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with a culturally diverse staff, volunteers, and community in a professional, pleasant, and respectful manner at all times
- Maturity and ability to use good judgment and display a professional manner
- Strong analytical skills and ability to identify and access department issues/opportunities; enjoys problem solving within existing resources; does not rely on additional dollars to resolve problems
- Track record of fostering a positive work environment. Be viewed as a motivator and leader.
- Experience in molding and developing staff into a cohesive team while holding individuals and work units accountable for their results
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time