Pasado’s Safe Haven is currently hiring for an experienced high-volume Spay/Neuter Veterinarian for our mobile clinics, which operate at various locations in Pierce, South King and Snohomish counties in Washington State. The Spay/Neuter Veterinarian is responsible for providing leadership and direction to the mobile unit staff and overseeing all medical care and surgeries for the animals receiving services. This position will also be responsible for oversight of the controlled drugs for the entire Spay/Neuter Program and will work closely with the Homelessness Prevention Manager to ensure the programs are operated efficiently and to their fullest potential, guaranteeing the safe sterilization of as many animals as possible in the community. The successful candidate will have experience in performing high-volume, high quality spays/neuters and be willing to work in a mobile surgery unit. This position requires local travel within Pierce and South King Counties on a regular basis and 2 Saturdays per month.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Provide humane care and safe surgeries of public animals.
- Maintain valid Washington State Veterinary license and register with the Drug Enforcement Administration for controlled substances; Comply with applicable standards for Veterinarians as established by the Washington State Veterinary Medical Association.
- Examine and evaluate client animals in a professional and efficient manner.
- Maintain superior medical standards, maintaining a healthy, safe, and sanitary environment for all spay/neuter clinics.
- Supervise the LVT and work cooperatively to ensure proper management of each clinic.
- Administer medications, anesthesia drugs, and prepare animals for surgery in accordance with WAC 246-935-040.
- Effectively communicate condition and status of animals with staff.
- Oversee control of drugs used at each clinic by directly managing LVT.
- Train staff as needed on appropriate handling of animals, drugs, equipment, etc.
- Enforce and adhere to existing sanitation and disease prevention protocols; actively contribute to their continuous improvement.
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures; actively contribute to continuous improvement.
- Maintain strict confidentiality on client, patient and donor information.
- Understand all facets of the daily operations of each clinic.
- Be respectful of co-workers and treat staff, clients, volunteers, and patients in a professional manner.
- Ensure all protocols and procedures are adhered to, including OSHA/L&I standards.
- Attend training/conferences when required.
Education: Requirements as per Washington State Department of Health & Veterinary Board of Governors WAC 246-935-040
- Must have proven track record in all facets of physical and emotional animal care, including excellent HVHQSN skills.
- Must be able to operate assigned medical equipment.
- Must be experienced working in a fast paced and stressful environment.
- Must be a self-starter, able to prioritize effectively, possess strong organizational skills, and oral communication skills.
- Need to be passionate about spay/neuter efforts and animal care/welfare.
- Must be willing to perform a variety of daily physical tasks including up to five hours of surgery time.
- Must be driven to meet/exceed goals.
- Must have a valid WA State driver’s license and own car.
- Must be able to emotionally handle situations dealing with disturbing animal situations.
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn/improve animal care skills and knowledge.
- Must have the ability to be a calming influence during stressful situations.
- No animal allergies.
Schedule: Generally, 5 days per week at 6-8 hours/day depending on case load, with 3 Saturday’s per month. Full-time 35-40 hours/week total.
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental and vision (employees contribute a percentage)
- Supplemental insurance options (life, accident, etc.)
- Paid-time-off and holidays
- Potential gas stipend (for some positions)
- Reimbursement of some professional dues, licenses and CE costs
If you are interested in joining our amazing team and supporting the good work of Pasado’s Safe Haven, please send your resume and cover letter.