Are you compassionate about animals and have a desire to speak for those who cannot? For over 100 years, the Greater Birmingham Humane Society has been working to end pet homelessness and animal suffering by providing a strong and steadfast voice for those who cannot speak for themselves. As the largest community-based animal welfare organization in the state, we care for more than 20,000 homeless pets each year at our four facilities. If you work well with people too, join our team and help us provide that voice.
Purpose of Position: Serve as the lead medical and surgical staff member.
- Develop, implement, and monitor medical programs that improve the standard of animal and veterinary care.
- Collaborate with the Chief Program Officer to ensure GBHS’s operations are conducted using appropriate and up-to-date medical practices.
- Supervise, coach, and mentor staff Veterinarians and fourth-year Veterinary students from Veterinary schools in the state, specifically to their provision of veterinary medicine.
- Supervise veterinarians and veterinary students regarding core values outside of medicine and surgery.
- Create training programs for staff Veterinarians and Veterinary students.
- Maintain a culture of collaboration and teamwork among the entire Veterinary Services team.
- Work with other departments to effectively and efficiently coordinate care and quarantine of infectious disease animals.
- Serve as a liaison promoting GBHS’ philosophy and goals to veterinarians, vendors, the public, and other animal welfare-related organizations.
- Perform surgical procedures daily including high quality, high volume spay/neuter, dentistry, and various soft tissue and orthopedic procedures.
- Perform veterinary medical functions including examination and treatment of shelter animals. Perform necropsies as needed.
- Oversee administration of the rabies vaccination program, perform brain removals of rabies suspect animals (when trained staff is unavailable), and observe quarantined animals as directed by the GBHS Director of Clinical Services and/or the County Public Health Director
- Participate in euthanasia decision making. Certify staff to perform euthanasia procedures. Collaborate with Chief Program Officer on euthanasia training and SOP development.
- Work with cruelty investigations staff for evaluation, documentation, and testimony about the condition of animals involved in investigation cases.
- Consult and assist adopters, fosters, and external veterinarians regarding animals at or adopted from GBHS.
- Develop SOPs and ensure they are updated and practiced with staff and volunteers.
- Work with the veterinary services manager to understand and implement the annual budget.
- Participate in strategic initiatives as appropriate
- Recruit, hire, develop, coach, and counsel veterinarians and assist in the process for support staff.
- Monitor and evaluate departmental/area processes and procedures alongside the veterinary services manager to maximize efficient uses of resources.
- Participate in inter-departmental meetings and discussions to support and develop initiatives, as needed.
Required Doctorate or better in Veterinary Medicine.
• On-call availability
• Valid driver’s license and insurable driving record
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
• High attention to detail
• Ability to work well within a fast-paced environment
• Effective time management skills with the ability to triage cases and workload
• Ability to effectively communicate in writing
• High emotional intelligence
• Strong interpersonal communication skills
• Demonstrated excellent surgical skills
• Ability to effectively lead a team
• Experience in shelter medicine and/or HQ/HV setting
• 3-5 years experience practicing veterinary medicine in a full service, high surgical volume environment
• Current DEA license or ability to obtain DEA license
• Current Alabama veterinary license with clean practice record
• Ability to obtain a premise permit from the Alabama Veterinary Board
• Leadership or management experience in clinic, hospital, or shelter environment
• Experience performing orthopedic surgeries.