1 - 3 years
ICU/ PCT Technician (Overnight 8pm-8am) 3 days per week
Our privately-owned hospital is located in beautiful Mount Laurel, NJ. We proudly hold the titles of 2016 and 2017 Best Veterinarian In South Jersey (Burlington County Times) as well as 2015 and 2016 Best Places To Work (Monster Jobs)! Mount Laurel, NJ is in close proximity to Philadelphia.
MLAH is the premier critical care and referral center for Southern New Jersey and the surrounding areas serving the South Jersey community since 1976. We provide compassionate and progressive veterinary care for a wide range of companion and exotic pets. We currently have 35 practicing doctors and a support staff of over 160 employees. We feature specialty care and additional services including cardiology, exotics, internal medicine, oncology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, surgery, acupuncture, behavioral medicine and home care.
Summary: To provide cage-side treatments to hospitalized and critically ill animals. The technician must be able to work with cats and dogs. Experience with exotics is a plus.
Responsibilities: The responsibilities of the ICU/PCT include, but are not limited to the following activities:
- Performing treatments on hospitalized patients including the administration of medications by various routes
- Obtaining vitals, blood pressure, ECG, and other monitoring parameters
- Monitoring hydration status, administering CRI’s, setting up IV fluids with multiple lines, etc.
- Phlebotomy and basic knowledge of hematology and “normals”
- Basic knowledge of anesthetic drugs, protocols, and anesthesia monitoring
- Medical record keeping, client communication (particularly in regards to patient updates)
- Knowledge of common medications
- Ability to place intravenous catheters, central line placement and PICC line placement and care
- Transfusion therapy including blood typing and cross matching
- Feeding tube care and maintenance
- Placement of male urinary catheters
- Application of bandages/splints.
- Discharging patients
- The technician should be familiar and comfortable with handling and nursing care of exotics including SQ/IM/IV injections.
All other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum 2 years experience in veterinary surgery and anesthesia
- CVT or VTS preferred
- Work experience in a fast-paced, multi-veterinarian hospital, emergency/referral practice or hospital
TECHNICAL ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of normal patient vitals for awake, sedated, and anesthetized patients
- Accuracy in calculating and delivering anesthetic agents, fluids, and CRIs
- Comprehensive understanding and experience with anesthetic monitoring is required
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment and commitment to building relationships with colleagues, clients, and community is required
- Knowledge and care with equipment maintenance, cleaning, sterility, and troubleshooting; willingness to read equipment manuals and consult with vendors if repair/upgrades needed
- Knowledge of appropriate aseptic technique and surgical procedures
- Understanding of estimates for different surgical procedures
- Excellent communication and organizational skills are required, and the ability to deliver exceptional client service is expected
- Must be able to regularly lift up to 50 pounds (work requires lifting, carrying, and restraining animals-with assistance from other staff for animals weighing over 50 pounds)
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation is based on experience and skill level. Overnight employees will receive an additional $5 per hour shift differential. Full-time benefits include health, dental, and vision insurances; 401k; paid time off; uniforms; and discounted veterinary care.
Job ID: 215333783